Saturday, June 29, 2013

Art By The Little Ones

Recently, Kirsten and I got together with our respective little ones and dared to have a messy art project.  I wanted to do something beyond crayons (although I am learning I have not outgrown my crayon fetish) and as a keepsake for years to come.

And, as my typical Pinterest inspiration, saw many canvas toddler art projects.  This is our version of the activity.

Supplies:
Cheap canvas from AC Moore.
Crayola finger paint (it's washable!!)
Paint brushes
Plastic egg packaging

Optional stuff:
Tape, paper
Ribbon
Fabric glue


So ahead of the play date, I printed out the letters to their names and glued them to the canvas. Notice I don't mention glue in the supplies?  Ya, the reason for that is because even simple Elmer's glue stuck way too well to the canvas.  So I suggest some simple scotch tape.  Several pins floating around on Pinterest use regular painters tape but I didn't think this would give the letters enough character. 



  Here we are painting, or as Vera refers to it: self painting. Also, note the capes.  They also performed painting as a super power.  This was Ollie's idea.


I had to include this picture, because it is one of my favorite pictures of Ollie.  Such a handsome boy.



 The Crayola washable finger paint took several hours to completely dry on the canvas.  Kirsten and I pulled off the glued on paper (here we each clearly had to get creative to save the piece).  Kirsten colored in some bold block letters, and I outlined the letters with a purple Sharpie.  I also added a bow in a matching satin purple so that I could hang it from Vera's bedroom door.



 
This activity didn't turn out as messy as I anticipated, mainly because they both loved doing "real" art - the artist canvas really gives it a grown up feel-
AND it was personalized.
 
This would also make a great birthday party activity if indoors, and a nice take away for the guests.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog! It means a lot you found me and felt it worthy enough to take a few moments to share your thoughts. Spam will not be posted, but feel free to link to your blog or related website.